Schokoladen burg : Karuizawa Chocolate Factory

The streets were cloaked in white snow and the temperatures fell below zero degree Celsius. We were walking along the old Ginza streets of Karuizawa (not Tokyo yah?) that looked like a ghost town as there was barely any people or shop that is opened for business. Honestly I regretted subjecting my family and myself to such cold brutal winds by travelling all the way to Karuizawa, a 2.5-hour Shinkansen ride from Tokyo. I know, it's a place where most people head for summer retreat and winter skiing. But there was no turning back since we've trekked half-way on the cold pavement. Everything looked bleak until we chanced upon a chocolate factory.

CHOCOLATE FACTORY?!?! Did I read wrongly?


A chocolate factory not in London, Australia but in Japan? I immediately crossed the road and headed for the red house. All I want was a hot cuppa of chocolate, a cup that could thaw my frozen face and limbs. Our wish was granted. I had the rich frothy cocoa drink that wasn't overly sweet, along with the 2 little squares of chocolate in matcha and champagne flavor.

Those wickedly pricy treats were one of the best I've ever had; they melted gradually under the heat of the palates, leaving behind a cacao breath to behold. The dine-in menu was limited to the standards beverages like coffee, tea and a dessert--a chocolate Bavarian, became an oddity on the list. It was a long wait before the drinks and Bavarian mousse arrived as the duo (an old man and a younger one) took their own sweet time to prepare the stuff even though there were no customers.

I would probably be irritated if this was summer. But the plunging temperatures outside encouraged us to linger on. And now I finally understand why chocolate is exceptionally charming during winter.

Schokoladen burg 軽井沢チョコレート館
〒389-0100  長野県北佐久郡軽井沢町軽井沢4-2
10am-6pm daily


Comments