Ann Chin 安真 Popiah @ Chinatown Complex Market

After my failed attempt to have Ann Chin Popiah at Singapore Food Trail @Singapore Flyer, I headed to Chinatown Hawker Centre where the actual store is located as it sells my two favourite hawker food popiah and kueh pie tee!
 
I thought I was lucky as the hawker centre had just been opened for a few days since it shut down for refurbishment.



According to the news, the stall owner brought in the popiah from Fujian, China in the 1940s and it has since been running strong till present. This stall makes the popiah skin instead of ordering from manufacturers.

 
We ordered two popiah (one for $1.60/two for $3) one spicy and one plain. Overall, they were one of the better popiahs in Singapore, and as always, I prefer spicy to plain. The resilient skin did not wilt when it contacted the moist filling. There is also the crunchy fritters and peanuts, but the mangkwang (turnip) was not very flavorful.

 
In fact, I like the kueh pie tee ($3 for 6 pieces) with the crispy prawns sitted on top. The shells have been arranged in the container and are filled upon order. Try putting the entire thing in your mouth (if it is big enough:p) and let the flavors explode in your mouth. The fillings were warm, juicy and crunchy. 

Instead of popiah, the kueh pie tee would be something that I would want to have again. But, I just realised I missed out the Satay Bee Hoon on the right. Need to go back soon to have my fix!

Ann Chin Popiah
Blk 335 Chinatown Complex Market Smith Street #02-112
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri: 10am-9pm; Sat-Sun: 9am – 9pm; closed on Thurs

Comments